A list of indexes for Literature along with descriptions can be found at the Rutgers University Libraries Index Page.
- Film Review Index, Vol.1: 1882-1949; Vol.2: 1950-1985 (REF PN1995.F513 1986).
- Features over 7,000 English language motion pictures;
includes foreign films released and reviewed in this country.
Arrangement is alphabetical by title of film, with information on the
director, year of production, country where produced and a list of
reviews of the film.
- Magill's Survey of Cinema: English Language Films 1st & 2nd series (REF PN1995.M3).
- A survey of over 1200 movies, from the Jazz Singer to
Kramer vs. Kramer. Each entry features a long extended essay with plot
summary and critical examination of the contribution of the director,
actors, cinematographers, etc.
- Retrospective Index to Film Periodicals, 1930-1971 (REF Z5784.M9B39).
- Selected Film Criticism (REF PN1995.S426 1982).
- Vol. 1 - 5 presents reprints of reviews of American
films for the years 1896 to 1950. Vol. 6 - 7 includes reprints of
reviews of foreign films for the years 1930 to 1960.
- See also Scholarly Journals
SCHOLARLY JOURNALS / REVIEWS
- New York Times Index
- Readers’ Guide to Periodical Literature
- FIAF International Film Archive Database
- Film Literature Index, 1976-2001
- Film & Television Literature Index
The scholarly indexes may give you citations to articles as your
search result. A citation is not the complete article but it gives you
enough information to locate the article in our library system. The
best indexes to use
for film studies are:
- MLA International Bibliography
- Literature Resources Center (includes some full-text resources)
- Humanities Abstracts
- America: History & Life
- Art Index