Skip to main content
This is a selected list of databases that you may find useful for finding articles on your topic. You can also check out the
complete list of Rutgers online indexes and databases.
Full Text Not Attached?
Not all databases have all the articles they cite available in full text. Use the button that's in the database article record to have the system search Rutgers subscriptions for the full-text article.
Article Not Available/Only Available in Print?
If the Rutgers Libraries don't have the article (don't subscribe to
the journal/don't have that issue), or only have a copy in print
format, you can use Interlibrary Loan and Article Delivery Services to request electronic delivery of the article.
To find out how, take a look at this very short video.
Indexes and Databases
- America: History and Life 1964- .
- The most comprehensive index to American (U.S. and Canada) history. Indexes over 2000 journals worldwide, as well as book reviews and dissertations. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Gender and Sexuality
- 1970- Indexes articles relating to women and gender, including gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues. Includes non-mainstream publications. Rutgers-restricted Access
- LGBT Life with Full Text
- LGBT Life It includes the full text of more than 140 journals and more than 150 books and reference materials, as well as indexing and abstracts for over 600 additional publications. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Women's Studies International
- 1972- Women's Studies International is the most comprehensive index to women's studies resources. Incorporates citations from Women Studies Abstracts, Women's Studies Bibliography Database, and the Women's Studies Database, among others. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- SexBiblio: Bibliography of the History of Western Sexuality
- Database of over 27,000 titles of primary and secondary literature of the history of sexuality in Europe, the U.S. and Canada from 1700 to 2007/2008.
- MLA International Bibliography 1926-
- The premier index to articles, books, and dissertations on literature, language, linguistics, folklore, and film. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Literature Online (LION)
- In addition to the full text of over 350,000 English-language literary works, you can select "Criticism and Reference" to search over 300 full-text literature journals as well as citations from the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Philosopher's Index
- 1940- Index to over 480 journals worldwide, as well as books, relating to social and political philosophy and concepts, the philosophy of law, the philosophy of religion, etc. Rutgers-restricted Access
- JSTOR provides electronic access to back runs, many back to the 19th century or earlier, of more than 2000 important scholarly journals in a variety of disciplines. JSTOR does not include current issues of journals; generally the most recently published issue of any current journal will not appear in JSTOR until 3-5 years after the publishing date. Rutgers current access is to ten of the twelve JSTOR Arts and Sciences collections. Rutgers-restricted access
Can't resist the urge to Google?
- ProQuest Social Sciences Premium Collection
- Index to over 10,000 social science titles, including journal articles, books, dissertations, proceedings, and government publications; full-text access to over 1800 journals. International and interdisciplinary in scope. Among other databases includes: ASSIA: Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts, Proquest Criminal Justice, International Bibliography of the Social Sciences, PAIS International, Proquest Political Science, Social Services Abstracts. and Worldwide Political Science Abstracts. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Google Scholar
- Use the Library's link to Google Scholar.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies