Skip to main content
Starts, Changes, Chronologies
- The Business Founding Date Directory, Alphabetical and Chronological Sections
- Etna M. Kelley. Scarsdale, N.Y., Morgan & Morgan, 1954.
- Lists more than 9000 busines organizations that were founded between 1687 and 1915. Entry in alphabetically section includes address, principal product or service, and founding year. Chronological section lists companies by year founded.
- ALEXANDER, DANA REF HD2785.K4
- Supplement to the Business Founding Date Directory
- Etna M. Kelley. Scarsdale, N.Y., Morgan & Morgan, 1956.
- Lists over 600 business organizations founded in 1916-1918, and 1931-1933.
- DANA HD2785 .K41
- Capital Adjustments: Stock Dividends, Stock Rights, Reorganizations
- Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, 1970.
- DANA REF KF 6415 .P7
- Directory of Corporate Name Changes
- Howard Jarrell. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1993.
- DANA, CARR REF HG 4057 .A2864
- Institution Directory
- This searchable directory from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation contains historical information on bank mergers and acquisitions.
- Notable Corporate Chronologies
- Detroit, Gale Research, 1995. 2 vols.
- Timeline with brief descriptions of 30 or more key events in the histories of 1150 corporations worldwide. A "Further Reading" list of sources included for each company.
- DANA REF. HD2721 .N68 1995
- Corporate Acquisition Guide (DANA REF HD 2746.55 .U5 C67)
- Corporate Acronym Resource Guide (DANA REF HD 2771 .C668)
- Corporate Entity Name Change Guide (DANA REF HG 4057 .A1156469)
- International Corporate Acquisition Guide (DANA REF HD 2746.55 .U5 I58)
- International Corporate Entity Name Change Guide (DANA REF HG 4057 .A15647)
For companies (especially "dot coms") that have failed in recent years (including the TheStandard.com and its FlopTracker), look at the list of Dot-Com Layoffs and Shutdowns compiled by the Wall Street Journal in 2001.
Learn about company failures with Autopsy.io, which links to recent press coverage of start-ups that did not succeed.
You can browse the News archives of the Troubled Company Reporter for news items older than 90 days; access to current news require a subscription.