Skip to main content
- Who's Who in Finance and Business
- Basic personal information plus educational background and career summaries for senior executives of the largest U.S. firms as well as other leaders in business and industry. Now incorporated in the database: Marquis Biographies Online. (Rutgers-restricted)
- DANA 2006/07, 2008/09: REF HF3023 .A2W5; CARR 2004/05-2008/09: REF. HF3023 .A2W5
- Earlier titles:
- Who's Who in Finance and Industry. 1970-2003 ALEXANDER 1985/86-1996/97: HF54 .W628; ANNEX 1972-1984: HF54 .W628; DANA 1970-2003: REF HF3023 .A2W5; CARR 1977/78-2003: REF. HF3023 .A2W5
- World's Who's Who in Finance and Industry. 1970/71 ANNEX HF54 .W628 v.16
- World Who's Who in Commerce and Industry. 1961-1968/69 ANNEX HF54 .W628
- Who's Who in Commerce and Industry. 1936-1959 ANNEX HF54 .W628
- To find books and other materials on the people who played a role in the business life of the United States search the Library Catalog using SUBJECT begins with
- BUSINESSPEOPLE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- BUSINESSPEOPLE UNITED STATES HISTORY
- BUSINESSMEN UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- BUSINESSWOMEN UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- CAPITALISTS AND FINANCIERS UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- EXECUTIVES UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- WOMEN EXECUTIVES UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- MERCHANTS UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- BANKERS UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHY
- To find books and other materials on a specific individual search the Library Catalog using SUBJECT begins with that person's name, for example
- PENNEY, J.C.
- WALTON, SAM
Indexes to Books and Articles
- Biography Index
- New York, H.W. Wison Co., 1946- .
- Quarterly index to biographical books and articles.
- ALEXANDER 1946- : REF. Z5301 .B5; CAMDEN 1946-2003/04: REF. Z5301 .B5; DANA 1946- :REFERENCE INDEX TABLE M; CARR 1946- : REF CT100 .B5
- People in Business and Industry in North America: Summaries of Biographical Articles in History Journals
- Pamela R. Byrne and Susan K. Kennell, editors. Santa Barbara, Calif., ABC-CLIO, 1988.
- 200 summaries of biographical articles originally indexed in America: History and Life on U.S. and Canadian business men and women: "entrepreneurs, corporate leaders, industrialists, railroad tycoons, land barons, traders, and carpetbaggers."
- ALEXANDER HC102.5 .A2P46 1988; DANA HC102.5 .A2P46 1988
- Great American Business Leaders Database
- "An effort to identify and chronicle the lives of 20th century men and women whose business leadership shaped the ways that people live, work, and interact." From the Leadership Initiative at the Harvard Business School. You can view data sorted by Name, Birthplace, Industry, Era, Gender, Ethnicity, or Education. Basic biographical information plus brief paragraph on role/significance. Access to full database available upon submission of a permission form.
- American Business Leaders: From Colonial Times to the Present
- Neil A. Hamilton. Santa Barbara, Calif., ABC-CLIO, 1999. 2 vols.
- 1-3 page biographical essays with short bibliographies.
- DANA REF. HC102.5 .A2H36 1999
- Biographical Dictionary of American Business Leaders
- John N. Ingham. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1983. 4 vols.
- Biographical sketches with bibliographies of 1,159 "historically significant" American business leaders. Appendices index those profiled by industry, companies, birthplaces, principal business locations, religion, ethnic origin, years of birth, and gender.
- ALEXANDER, DANA REF. HC102.5 .A2I53 1983
- Contemporary American Business Leaders: A Biographical Dictionary
- John N. Ingham and Lynne B. Feldman. New York, Greenwood Press, 1990.
- 116 fairly extensive biographical essays on individuals and families involved in the transformation of American business since World War II.
- ALEXANDER HC102.5 .A2I534 1990; DANA, CARR REF. HC102.5 .A2I534 1990
- American Inventors, Entrepreneurs, and Business Visionaries
- Charles W. Carey, Jr. New York, Facts on File, 2002.
- 1-2 page biographical profiles of 280 17th through 20th century individuals who had an impact on American economic and business history.
- CAMDEN REF. CT214 .C29 2002
- Enterprising Women: 250 Years of American Business
- Virginia G. Drachman. Chapel Hill, N.C., University of North Carolina Press, 2002.
- Biographies, placed within a historical context, of forty notable women entrepreneurs, 1750 to 2000. Book developed in conjunction with a traveling exhibit organized by the Schlesinger Library of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard. Portions of the exhibit are available online, as are some video vignettes with biographical commentary.
- DOUGLASS HC102.5 .D73 2002
- Historical Encyclopedia of American Women Entrepreneurs: 1776 to the Present
- Jeannette M. Oppedisano. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2000.
- 2-4 page biographical essays, with selected bibliography, on 120 American women who contributed to the nation's economy.
- DOUGLASS HF3023 .A2064 2000
- American Women Managers and Administrators: A Selective Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth-Century Leaders in Business, Education, and Government
- Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1985.
- ALEXANDER, DANA, DOUGLASS REF. HC102.5 .A2L37 1985
African-American Business Leaders
- African-American Business Leaders: A Biographical Dictionary
- John N. Ingham and Lynne B. Feldman. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1994.
- 5-15 page profiles of 123 African-Americans who have had an impact on American economic and business life. Includes information taken from primary sources and information on individuals not included in other standard biographical works.
- ALEXANDER, DANA REF HC102.5 .A2I52 1994
- African-American Business Leaders and Entrepreneurs
- Rachel Kranz. New York, Facts on File, 2004.
- Over 150 biographical sketches from the colonial period to the present.
- ALEXANDER, DANA REF HC102.5 .A2K73 2004
For a more extensive list of biographical resources for business and industry see the Business: Biographical Resources guide.