Skip to main content
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- The Color of Words: An Encyclopedia Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States
- Philip H. Herbst. Yarmouth, Me., Intercultural Press, 1997.
- Herbst, an anthropologist, offers definitions, as well as the social and historical origins, of 850 frequently misunderstood, offensive, or politically-charged ethnic and racial terms used in the U.S.
- Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History New York, Macmillan, 1996. 5 vols plus Supplement (2001).
Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History: The Black Experience in the Americas 2nd edition. Detroit, Macmillan, 2006. 6 vols.
- Signed entries covering all aspects of African-American history and life. While the 2d edition expands the scope of the work beyond North America, it has only a little more than half of the number of entries found in the first edition. Many of the U.S.-centered articles (for example, entries on states and major cities) are not available in the 2d edition. About half of the articles that appear in both have been updated in the 2d edition. Bibliographic references. Together, a good starting point for research.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. E185 .E54 1996.
Dana Call Number: Ref. E185 .E54 2006.Rutgers-restricted Access
- Dictionary of Afro-American Slavery.
- John Randall Miller and John David Smith, eds. New York, Greenwood, 1988.
- Extensive collection of articles relating to slavery in the U.S. Bibliographic references.
- In Motion: The African-American Migration Experience
- "Presents a new interpretation of African-American history, one that focuses on the self-motivated activities of peoples of African descent to remake themselves and their worlds. " A project of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. Includes images, texts, and maps.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies