Dana Reference Desk
Open 7 days per week in spring and fall semesters, 6 days during the summer; hours at
Rutgers University Libraries Ask a Librarian Service (email)
Available 24/7; answers usually within 24-48 hours.
Rutgers University Libraries Ask a Librarian Live! (MEEBO IM reference)
Available when staffed; runs afternoons and evenings Monday through Thursday and Sunday evenings during the spring and fall semesters. Hours at http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/desk_hours
Access to Library Resources
Welcome to This Guide
Tim O'Brien's In the Lake of the Woods is an important evocation of the consequences of the Vietnam War. The novel can be examined with literary, psychological, or historical frameworks. This guide leads you to sources on any or all of these approaches.
We also include material on MLA citation style, avoiding plagiarism, and the writing/research process to help you get used to academic writing for your advanced classes in other subjects.
Learning Objectives for English 102
After this class, you will be able to:
Find periodical articles, including scholarly articles, on the Rutgers University Libraries site.
Document what you find as you go and prepare a preliminary bibliography in MLA format from database output.
Find books in the Rutgers system.
- Association of College and Research Libraries. Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/standards/informationliteracycompetency.cfm#stan
- Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed information effectively
- Performance indicators 2.1-2.5
- Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
of Excellence in Higher Education: Requirements of Affiliation and Standards
for Accreditation, [Online Version updated March 2009 http://www.msche.org/publications/CHX06_Aug08REVMarch09.pdf
(p. 42). The document states that "information literacy is an essential
component of any educational program at the graduate or undergraduate levels." Applicable skills on the Middle States list include the ability to:
- access information effectively and efficiently;
- evaluate critically the sources and content of information.
- Support of University mission:
- providing for the instructional needs of New Jersey’s citizens through its undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs
Quick Guides to Info Quality