- Data is collected by governments, corporations, nonprofits, research organizations, and individual researchers.
- Think about who will be likely to collect data on the topics you’re interested in.
- Follow the leads from existing research on similar topics.
Rutgers University Libraries
General Databases - World
- OECD.Stat – In-depth coverage of developed countries (click on Statistics)
- Asia-Studies Full-Text Online – includes statistical data on Asian countries
- Correlates of War - international historical collection of data relating to warfare and influences on war
- China Data Online – official statistics from China
- Human Rights Data Project (CIRI) Cingranelli-Richards Human Rights Dataset contains standards-based quantitative information on government respect for 15 internationally recognized human rights for 195 countries, annually from 1981
- For international trade, there are a number of more specialized sources, including COMTRADE, the trade database of the UN Statistics Commission; the WTO’s trade and tariff statistics, and the World Bank’s WITS trade data.
- World Health Organization – Statistical Information System
- UNESCO Data Centre
General - US
Mapping and Data - US
- Social Explorer - all Census (plus religion) 1790 to present, very easy to use
- PolicyMap - many economic and social indicators
Archives – ICPSR, Roper
- ICPSR– the largest and most important archive of social science data
- Includes major projects such as General Social Survey, National Archive of Criminal Justice Data, Terrorism, and more
- Roper Center– archive specializing in polls and surveys
- iPoll provides access to US polling data
- Roper Express provides complete archives
- May not include ALL Roper polls – some are commercial
- National Data Archives are on the rise, e.g., UK, France, Finland, Australia
- IFDO – International Federation of Data Organizations, for more links
Elections and other topics
Other universities have excellent data sites
- IQSS DATAVERSE – large interdisciplinary repository of individual projects
- DATA PASS – archives of specially preserved data
- OFFSTATS – find state statistical agencies for most nations here
- WRDS – detailed financial reports, stock prices, indices
- Datastream – bonds, currencies, futures, options
- Please consult with me if you are not finding the data you need! There are many informal or less than obvious sources of data.
See Data Services for further information on the Libraries Data services.